Friday, February 24, 2012

I am getting my dog neutered. He is a mini schnauzer and is a little over a year. I was wondering if he would need blood work for that?Does my Mini Schnuazer need blood work for nueter?Unlike humans, pre-anesthetic blood work for our pets is optional. It is really up to you whether you want to accept the pre-anesthetic blood work or not. Some owners accept the blood work for all their pets from puppies to seniors, others decline the blood work until their pets are older, in their senior age.

Personally, I always recommend at least a mini-screening to be done. At a year of age you can easily get away with the mini-screening. There really is not need to have a complete blood panel done unless you or your vet suspects something.

Not only will the blood work let you know if he is 'healthy' enough to handle the anesthetic, but it also provides your vet with a baseline of where your dogs levels are. This way if a year from now your dog goes into the vet and is ill... they have something to compare the blood work to. It is never a bad idea.

If I were you I would at least accept a mini-screening. Good luck!|||Blood work makes sure that vital organs are functioning properly. This is very important when anesthesia is involved. The results of the blood work will let the vet know if his organs will be able to process the anesthesia safely. Most vets leave this decision up to you if you want the blood work ran but it is highly recommended, especially if he's never had any ran before. Hope this helps.Does my Mini Schnuazer need blood work for nueter?no, they suggest it to test for other common ailments but it is by no means required.|||I'd sure want my dog to have lab work done before a surgery. Yes I think it's very necessary just in case.Does my Mini Schnuazer need blood work for nueter?It is not required, but it is an opportunity to check you pet's health and screen for other diseases or health conditions. Since you are taking the time to get him neutered, it would not hurt to get his "blood work" checked. Pets like people can benefit from routine health care.|||It is best to get a basic profile of blood to make sure that your dog is healthy to receive anesthesia and the drugs associated with it. If a dog is healthy and young, my clinic pretty much just does PCV, BUN, Crea, and Lytes. I know in my university clinic they just require PCV/TS. A puppy will also get a blood glucose right before surgery so they know if he needs "sugar" in his IV fluids so that his blood sugar level doesn't get too low. A PCV and blood sugar check is not expensive, and shouldn't cost more than $10.

You can't always "tell them not to do it". I know at my university's clinic, if an owner refuses it, they may not do surgery at all, or they will have you sign a form that says that if something goes wrong and bloodwork could have prevented it, that the clinic is not at fault. Kind of like an "against medical advice" form.|||A lot of vets want to do this, especially if they do not know the dog.
My vet knows my dogs, helps with rescues to keep costs low, and will neuter without it.

It's not essential if your dog is healthy, but its a great source of income for your vet. If you know your dog is o.k. (has been tested for heartworm, etc.) just tell them not to do it.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment