Tuesday, February 21, 2012

If your son wanted to wear a mini skirt and makeup to school would you actively encourage him?

Have you?

And if he did, why would you allow him?

Would you allow him despite the consequences such as bullying? How would/did you deal with the bullying/issues he faced?

Is there anything that you would NOT allow your boys or girls to do because it is seen as inappropriate for their gender by society at large? Would you encourage your son to wear a mini skirt and makeup to school?I wouldn't actively encourage him. Obviously it depends on your current relationship with him but I would hope that your relationship with him would be good enough that you could sit down and discuss it with him. It would also depend on his age and his level of understanding but I would try and get him to look at the consequences of his potential actions and see if he could understand the difficulty he might face if he chose to follow through with it.

Unfortunately our society is not very accepting overall and I would hazard a guess that he would be ostracised and bullied if he chose to wear either a mini skirt and/or makeup to school. Depending on the school, it may also present an issue with the school administration. I would encourage him to try wearing these things outside of school and help make him feel as comfortable with himself as he possibly can without deliberately allowing him to put himself in risky situations.

Again, it really depends on his age and maturity, and it's hard to fully discuss this issue without knowing these things. Have a look around the web for some support and information sites for him (or get him to look himself). You might also want to check out PFLAG for your own support and information.

Wishing you all the best.|||It would depend on where we lived. In my current region I can't see it being a problem, but it would depend on what age group he were in and on the overall climate. If I thought he would be beaten up for it or harassed I would suggest him trying it elsewhere in a less stressful environment; around the house or somewhere. If he really wanted it to be at school I'd try to reach a compromise (girl pants and lipgloss rather than a miniskirt and lipstick; if he insisted on nail polish, black nail polish which is unisex).

I think that self-expression is important but I would be afraid for my son. Boys and young men are killed for less.

And yes, I'd allow it even if he were straight.Would you encourage your son to wear a mini skirt and makeup to school?Honestly, I'd be weirded out if my son wanted to dress like a girl, just like I'd be worried if my daughter was taping her breasts down and drawing on a moustache. My child's sexuality is one thing; them wanting to be another gender is another.

However, if my child came to me and said, "I'm gay", or, "I'm not comfortable as my own gender", I wouldn't be overjoyed about it, but that's my child and I love them. As long as they're not hurting anyone or getting hurt, I'm going to be accepting.|||No, no, no, no, no and NO!
Just because society wants us to believe that we are narrow minded bigots for recognizing gender difference, its a fact. What men do is there Business, but young boys and teens should not be encouraged to dress like women. At what point are parents going to put their foot down and say "no"? You wonder why kids can handle life as an adult? Because everyone gets a trophy, everyone makes the team, they dont even give grades anymore. They cant handle disappointment or rejection because we have bubble rapped them to the point where they actually think life is fair!!!Would you encourage your son to wear a mini skirt and makeup to school?No, I would not encourage any son of mine to wear a mini skirt....I don't care if the boy is gay, strait, cross dresser, or whatever. It would make the boy a HUGE target to have the crap beat out of them...even killed, if they took the beating too far.

I wouldn't want my daughter to wear a mini skirt to school either! As far as I'm concerned it's not appropriate school attire. Teenage girls are too young to deal with the sexual attention a mini skirt brings. If you are at school, you are there to learn...not "dress up."

~Garnet
Permaculture homesteading/farming over 20 years|||I'd totally support him.
He's not hurting anyone.

If he wants to wear a skirt, an evening gown or a clown suit he can go ffor it.

If there were bullying issues and the school wasn't doing their part, then there would be a problem with the school, not my son, so, we'd find a school where he would be accepted as who he is.|||Well can the girls wear mini skirts? valid Q as most schools now have dress codes. anyway assuming the kids can wear anything....

If I ended up with a gay/transsexual son, I'd still love him..he is my son, what else can you do.

Yes I would let him,( I'm assuming he is in his high school years) he is old enough to decide what to wear for himself, I'm sure he would know what he was doing and the possible consequences(though I hope gays are more accepted then)

Bullies, same way any other kid deals with bullies...teach them to stand up for themselves and not to be pushed around.

His choice I cant stop him, might as well let him, support him and love him.

Umm pretty much no...dont like all that gender standards BS..never let them stop me from what I've wanted to do. Have no intention of enforcing that on my kids.

My thoughts on the whole general topic...if your son or daughter end up gay. Your arnt going to be able to change them, and all your efforts are only going to hurt your child.
so you might as well accept it, and move on. There sexuality is only a part of them, and shouldnt be the reason why you do or dont love them.|||I would want him to be happy no matter what.
Even if it meant buying him skirts and makeup.


Bullies will bully no matter what.
Kids pick on each other for EVERYTHING.
And times are changing.
People are becoming more accepting of one another.
Your child will be much more grateful, if he knew that his mother was supportive of everything he does.

When it gets to the point that something is dangerous, though.
That should be where you draw the line.

:)

EDIT: Thumbs down.
Nice.
Probably from people who don't accept others for who they are.|||I would allow my children to do as they please, but warn them of the kind of attention they could unleash because of other people's close-mindedness. Girls aren't even allowed wearing mini-skirts to most schools, so I doubt that would fly with the school. But If my kids got bullied... oh boy, I WILL be that mother who marches to the school. They could be dressed as a freakin' clown and I would raise hell.|||I would not encourage any of my sons to to anything that would cause others to treat them with disdain and to insult them.

I just read this question to my 14 year old son and he said if anyone bothered him when he was dressed like that he'd beat them up and we both laughed and said yes good idea.|||No, i would not encourage that. I would continue to love my child, but i don't have to agree or encourage any lifestyle that i am not comfortable with.|||I wouldn't encourage it, but I wouldn't control what he wore, unless it had objectionable language on it.|||how old is my son?

because i wouldnt even let a female child under the age of 16 wear mini skirts and make up!!!

tbh i think it'd creep me out... |||Where do you come up with these questions? |||no, i would NEEEEVER let him do that! he would totally get made fun of!!|||Id slap him and call him a pussy. Your being hypothetical in your question right? i seriously hope so|||yes it would be funny|||Interesting question.

My husband, having been to many Ren Faires and been in traditional Scottish weddings, has come to the conclusion that he likes to wear kilts (to many - looks like a mini skirt) He has been wearing them, pretty much every day for the last 6 years. He often gets stared at, but being a large, muscular, red-head with a beard, doesn't get harassed much. He has never worried about following the crowd. He is an individual. We have 2 sons. My older one, age 11 now, has asked to wear his kilt to school, and other places. I admit - I say no. He wears it for heritage day at school, and whenever we go to Ren Fairs, or Celtic Festivals, etc. But for regular wear, at his age - no. I do not want a whim on his part to harm him socially for who knows how many years - some kids can be cruel. I am very glad my son, like my husband, is not afraid of being who he is. I just want him to be strong enough to handle any negative results of his actions before he takes them. My son is an amazingly open, honest, positive person - but he has never been in a situation where someone was very mean to him - he has been very lucky in that - he is tall, blond, blue eyed and handsome and well as smart - makes it easy to be liked - and he is by most everyone. I am not sure how he would handle severe criticism. As a mom I do think it is my job to protect him from situations that could cause extended harm - physically and mentally. If, when he is out of high school, he wants to wear kilts daily like his father - then I won't oppose him - but he will be over 6 foot by then and he won't be stuck in a closed social circle (school). He will have the whole world to find friends, like we have, that not only accept him for who he is but are in someways very similar or appreciate people for who they are - even if different. We have wonderful friends - some even have their own kilts (I love looking at men's legs!!!) We have friends that are straight, gay, bi, cross dressers, gender changing, church going, outgoing, shy, pretty much from all types - though I have to say - most tend toward the intelligent - eclectic types. And we are happy.

As to make-up - we have not had that issue.

I would probably do the same - say no until out of high school. |||NO!!!! only if I wanted him to be gay and get bullied. If my child wanted to be gay than I'd let them just because they might be unhappy as their gender but I would not encourage it. Why are you asking this Question? Are you going through this problem right now?

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment